Sunday, November 22, 2009

Jobless...

This is not going to be a weepy tale of my jobless days years back. I was relatively young then anyway and except for not having money to spare for my wants and for some relatively rare instances of boredom, those days turned out great.


I was fresh from a brief stint of junior accountant duties in some corporation specializing in the manufacture of animal feeds. I had to stop since I was not enjoying my job anymore. I spent endless days with countless sheets of journals and 16-column worksheets. I, tasked with a punishing workload would end up taking work home. I found it unhealthy and I came to a realization that it would be better if I start looking for a job which I would enjoy being in.


Hence, the jobless days. The parental units didn't seem to care for the first few days. Two weeks went down the lane and them seeing me not making any effort to look for a job caused their internal alarms to be on a wild ringing spree. They didn't bother to hide their disappointment anymore.


I on the other hand had the time of my life. I watched TV until my eyes were half-blind.


I longed for those days I woke up as late as I wanted to.


I remember those days I frequented my aunt's sari-sari store slash videoke house. I held concerts there from late mornings to late afternoons.


If nothing's good to see on TV, I was tuned in to radio. I was a radio freak, freak enough to memorize Dice and K9's "Itsumo" even. I participated interactive radio programs. Such involvement however on these radio programs can only go as far as my cellphone load's limit.


The downsides? There are a few but the most memorable would have to be not having caught the movies "Kill Bill", "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban", and "The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" in cinemas. Sigh, I still remember how interesting the discussion was on NU 107 then about the 3rd installment of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. That was the very time I wished I had a job and had money to spare for movie tickets. Anyway, these movies I missed, I got to watch them eventually on DVD.


One month and 2 weeks after my resignation as junior accountant, I was ready to take on another job. The novelty of a stress-free life has started to wane. It was perfect timing. I was watching some local series with a story revolving around mermaids. An ad about a business processing outsourcing company conducting a job fair in Royal Mandaya Hotel in Davao then appeared.


I was Davao-bound the next day to take my chances. The rest as they say is history.

2 comments:

  1. i am for a few more days. heheheh....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, you better blog about your jobless days and how the experience was. :-)

    ReplyDelete