Thursday, November 19, 2009

My life in ruins...


To put it very bluntly, sh*t happens.


Sometimes, our aspirations and plans do not coincide with reality. In life, we experience detours and setbacks and it's frustrating.


For Georgia (played by Nia Vardalos of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" fame), life has taken a downturn after she lost her teaching job in Athens. Being a tour guide is the last thing on her mind but she had to succumb to such to make ends meet. She hates the job and it shows. She's uptight and boring.


Georgia's "kefi" (Greek word for passion and enthusiasm) has gone down the drain and thoughts of her life having no sense of direction starts to drench into her system like a waterfall.


"My Life in Ruins" is a movie that I can very much relate to. You see, at a young age of 26, I still have those really dark moments wherein thoughts of a life not having any sense of direction eats at me. Some might say that I shouldn't be going through this phase. I have been in the business processing outsourcing industry for five years and I had some share of success as far as my career is concerned. Two promotions in 5 years is not bad. It's not bad at all.


Still, such thoughts linger. I feel that at my age, I could have accomplished more. I could have done more. I have a lot of dreams that have remained dreams and it becomes frustrating when I get to a realization that I am putting my life on hold because of some circumstances.


This movie however inspires. It tells me straight to my face that it is never too late to make things happen. Just like Georgia, I am given a chance to make each day the best that it can ever be.


I should just revive the "kefi" that got lost along the way.


Of course, it never hurts to get a little help from my friends.


And I should take one of the tourist's advice to Georgia when they did a stopover at the Parthenon. I should stop anticipating the obstacles and instead focus on the magic that happens every waking day of my life.


Rating: 5/5


* This movie is heartwarming, inspiring, and funny. It tells a story and doesn't lose itself as a travelogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment