Saturday, November 7, 2009

Impressions...


I learned a thing or two over the past few days. That impressions, they can change in a snap. It doesn't have to be that a certain person does something of grave proportions for your impression of him/her to shift gears. A single word uttered, a tantrum thrown, broken promises, a single "hi" or "hello", a seemingly harmless SMS are just some potent factors that can change the way you view a person. One of my first impressions about a co-worker just changed today. Before, I used to view her as someone so vain and so full of herself. She holds her head up high while doing catwalks in the office and emits that aura of someone who you can't approach and talk to. I thank high heavens I got to know her a little better. More than the pictures I tried to paint on my mind of her, I see a person who values her job more than anything else. I see someone who has her mind set on the future. I see someone you can actually talk to about anything under the sun. First impressions never really last and those impressions I had of her before just shattered into pieces.






Some good impressions though easily fly out of the window. Some people who are on the top of your list of those "who never disappoint" might plummet at the bottom of the said list after one violent reaction over a last-minute change in plans. Well, part of me might be wrong in believing too much on the idea that they'll be the first to understand because apparently, that's not what has happened.






I'm not ranting here. I'm just recounting these instances when certain impressions about a person change. I write this blog knowing fully well that I may have done something in the past that has made a change on the impressions people have of me. But should I even try to create a good impression all the time? I can certainly do this but in the end, it will be one futile act. Because really, you cannot please everybody and the main thing here is to just be yourself. The people who truly care would accept and appreciate you for what you are without you having to CHANGE!






Now that's a lesson well-learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment